Saturday, April 15, 2017

Week 1: Two Cultures

I found the article “Two Cultures” very intriguing because C.P. Snow’s arguments are very controversial. Snow perceives the Western world as two separate “cultures” between literary intellectuals and physical scientists. He believes these cultures have vastly different emotions and energies that are incapable of getting along. I consider myself a literary intellectual because I am a Political Science major and have always enjoyed writing papers. I believe Snow has a valid point in the two cultures possessing different emotions because it is evident on the UCLA campus. The northern side of campus is depicted as students who take easier classes and enjoy talking to each other, while the south side of campus is depicted as gloomy and the students are always working strenuously. I have felt the differences in the atmospheres in the north and south campus, but I would never say that I can tell from first glance if a student is a north or south campus student. I agree with how Snow says the atmospheres are different, but I would not go as far as saying someone’s major is their primary identity. If I had to describe myself in three words, I know for a fact it would not be “Political Science major”.
I learned a lot from C.P. Snow’s article “Two Cultures” and gained a new perspective on how I view society. I would not identify myself by my classes or major, but I do agree certain people prefer different classes and interests, and that should never tear people apart from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment