Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 3: Event 1



              I was pleasantly surprised as to what exactly I learned at Linda Weintraub's presentation. Ms. Weintraub talked about eco materialism and contemporary art. I gained the most insight from Ms. Weintraub talking about three different artists: James Bridie, Kazmir Malevich, and Claude Monet. 
             James Bridie is known for his drone's-eye view artwork called "Dronestagram". He would post the landscape of drone strikes on Instagram from 2012-2015 and gained a lot of popularity because of a new and refreshing perspective. 
           Kazmir Malevich has a very distinct style of art. She does not include a horizon, there is no sense of near or far, and there are no relationships to observed reality. This style of art gave a whole new perspective on landscapes and triggered a sense of euphoria for the viewers. 
          Claude Monet tried to created a visual interaction between himself and the world around him through his art. He used a lot of vibrant colors and lights and a lot of his artwork featured blurry beams of light. 
       I learned a lot from Linda Weintraub's presentation on how gaining new perspectives on landscapes and art causes new emotions and feelings to be triggered. I will now try to carry out Linda Weintraub's ideas on perspective and practice with my own drawings. I have always found it difficult to draw from different perspectives because I am not extremely artistic, but I have grasped the power of different points of view after this presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment