Saturday, April 15, 2017

Week 2: Math and Art

During this week’s lecture and readings on the relationships between mathematics and art, I gained a lot of new insight on how I perceive things around me. Rangaraj believes the main attribute both mathematics and art have in common is relativity. I gained a lot of insight while reviewing the Mandelbro set because the artwork is very proportionate. I believe there is a comforting feeling in artwork when it comes to symmetry because it is visually appealing. Mathematics is all about ration and making sure everything is proportionate, and I am constantly reminded of math when I see symmetrical artwork.
I decided to explore Vincent Van Gogh’s piece of art “Starry Night Over the Rhone” because I was instantly reminded of relativity when I first saw the painting. All of the lights from the lamp posts are the same size and relative to the size of the lamp posts. The lights are also equally distanced from one another. I found comfort in this artwork. Everyone is accustomed to ratios and relativity because we are surrounded by these things every day. I believe ratios and relativity almost reassure me that I am a human being which is very comforting.

I believe mathematics and art hold completely different connotations in everyday life, even though math and art go hand in hand. Math is seen as exact and perfect, while art is seen as messy and imperfect. I have gained new insight after reading this article because I am now more aware that mathematics and art have a lot more in common than I ever thought.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a good job in explaining this essence of this weeks topic- the merging of math and art in many fields. In my blog, I also discussed how Van Gogh's “Starry Night Over the Rhone” connects deeply to concepts in math, such as relativity and turbulence, however when I first saw myself, I had a very different experience than yours. I did not think that this artwork connected with concepts in math person, but like you mentioned in the last paragraph, it all depends on one's perspective on the matter. I had to think for a few seconds to makes these connections, but that made me more hyperaware that math and science are more related than several of us though before taking this course.

    ReplyDelete